Greece
The katholikon of St. Francis monastery was one of the greatest temples of Venetian Candia. When Candia fell to the Turks in 1669, the temple was converted into an imperial mosque dedicated to Muhammad the Conqueror, the conqueror of Constantinople.
The temple that was lost in time
The katholikon of St. Francis monastery was one of the greatest temples of Venetian Candia. When Candia fell to the Turks in 1669, the temple was converted into an imperial mosque dedicated to Muhammad the Conqueror, the conqueror of Constantinople.
The earthquake of 1856, however, that shook Heraklion, destroyed most of it. In 1912, the remains were removed, and in the site of the temple was built the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion.
A remnant of the temple is currently in our city: the gate of the Courts, in the Street of Justice, which was once the gateway of the beautiful Venetian edifice.
It is Moni Stavropigiaki, that was founded in the 16th century. Has played a major role in Cretan Revolts and indeed in the revolution of 1866, when there was shelter and center of rebels. There was very rich Single with large estates. In 1831 it was established that the first Greek school.
The Archanes Arachaeolgical Collection was inaugurated on August 21 1993, in the centre of the Archanes town, on the Tzami district.The exhibits are laid out in chronological order.
The purpose of the exhibition is to present the long lasting history of the island, and the short depiction of various aspects of human life, as it has been shifting through the ages.
GNTO Registry Number: 1039Ε60000070000
Number GE.MI. 118062927000