Greece
FAIRY TALE MEETS DREAM-Every year, in the beginning of June, just before sunrise in the morning mist, around Frangokastello appear black-clad human-like shadows with swords and helmets, which head, on horse or on foot, close to the castle.
A fort built in 1371-1374 by the venetians to fight off pirates and local revolutions. It is connected to the most common “legend” in Greece, the “Drosoulites”, the beginning of which can be traced back to the 1828 battle between Turkish warriors and the army of Captain Chatzimichalis Dallianis.
So, every year, in the beginning of June, just before sunrise in the morning mist, around Frangocastello appear black-clad human-like shadows with sowrds and helmets, which head, on horse or on foot, to the deserted church of Agios Charalambos, close to the castle. The legend sais that when someone tries to approach them, they vanish into the sea.
Scientists say that the phenomenon can be explained by analysing the position of the Sun, the lack of wind and the humidity. This creates the “wet illusion of Drosoulites”. Others say that it is the phenomenon of upper mirage, and that the shadows belong to soldiers training on the shores of Libya.
Whatever the reason, this small franciscan castle almost on top of the sea, allows you to enjoy the amazing beach, Orthi Ammos (standing sand), whose name is… derived from reality. The dunes are so tall, that the beach resembles a sandy slide to the sea – just remarkable – !!!
The archaeological collections was recently enriched with the generous offer of coins and numerous findings of various periods, that Adonis Kyrou had collected from all around the island, as well as from other places. A significant number of pictures and various ecclesiastical exhibits also comes from collection, and offers.
Agios Nikolaos is the capital of the Lasithi prefecture, and is situated on the west side of the Mirabello gulf. Its name came from the small church that is located in Agios Nikolaos’ bay.
The katholikon of St. Francis monastery was one of the greatest temples of Venetian Candia. When Candia fell to the Turks in 1669, the temple was converted into an imperial mosque dedicated to Muhammad the Conqueror, the conqueror of Constantinople.
1039 Ε 6061 01515 00